5.9.10

My Addiction to Bob Dylan

The first Bob Dylan song I heard was 'Blowing in the Wind' back when I was still in school. My dad brought this CD one day and told me, 'These are the evergreen classics'. I still remember there were 8 tracks in that compilation including 'Imagine', 'Let it Be' and 'Hey Jude' by The Beatles. I always thought Bob Dylan was a black guy from the 40's till then. And then, I listened to 'Blowing in the Wind' again and again and again, I replayed it over and over again trying to figure out the lyrics. Once I got the lyrics I told myself this guy is a poet. I started collecting Dylan song from that day onwards. I went to my friends , cousins and collected every little collection that they had of Dylan. 3 years later I was addicted to Dylan , more than my dad. I analyzed his lyrics, and each time I found a new story behind every song. The songs which really pulled me to this situation are 'Ballad of a Thin Man', 'Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest', 'Knocking on Heavens Door', 'As I Went Out One Morning' and last but not the least 'Desolation Row' which I thought was a real niche in music history . I was awestruck I heard the lines:

Between the windows of the sea
Where lovely mermaids flow
And nobody has to think too much
About Desolation Row.

I still quote this now and then, I don't know why, it just hits me every time, puts a philosophical smile on my face. 




0 comments: