2.4.11

Looking The World Through An Empty Green Bottle


It first happened when I was 11 years old. We had just moved into our new house and in the bedroom I found an half empty 7Up bottle. I picked it up and held it horizontally across my eyes and watched the world through it. I was amazed to see how cool and beautiful everything looked and thought to myself "If only I could see things like this everyday." 

This happened nine years ago. I tried it again yesterday afternoon. I was lying flat on my back on my bed with my eyes fixed on the ceiling. I took a 7Up bottle and placed it across my eyes just like I had done when I was 11 years old and I watched the fan, hanging from the ceiling spin slowly. This lasted for several minutes. I suddenly realized I wasn't feeling the same old feelings, of wanting to see the world in green everyday. I realized that it was just a momentary escape from the same old mundane sights of life. I said to myself that I must have been really stupid back in the day, but then again, those unexplained things were exciting. Now it seems that  there is an explanation for everything killing the mystery and excitement that can be found in simple everyday things. If I were ever given an opportunity to be the kid back then all over again I would accept the offer in a heartbeat, anytime, anywhere. I don’t mind growing up, of course, one's problems increase in magnitude but at the same time we become more equipped to handle them. We learn to think things through and logically before making decisions, but I'll tell you this: childhood was no crack either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope
to
never get
older.

silly
me.

Benjamin Karam said...

And why's that? Believe me I tried not to get older but it just doesn't work. Years catches up on you.